tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Web apps vs. Logging vs. Tomcat
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:24:42 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Yoav Shapira wrote:
>
>> UGLI is far from mature enough to be used by Tomcat at this point.  When
>> log4j 1.3 is out, we'll see.
>
> I already voted on that: -1.

Why out of curiosity?  I don't have a pro-UGLI ax to grind here, but
Commons-Logging's behavior in Tomcat is really undesirable as is.

Now if you're inside JBoss and it has pre-established log4j and
configured it prior to Tomcat loading, then I don't see a problem with
Commons Logging.  Standalone Tomcat's Commons Logging behavior vis-a-vis
log4j would seem to be an issue, though.  The issues are especially bad
and bizarre when log4j is used in a web app but Tomcat itself does not
have log4j installed, but this is only part of the issue.

--
Jess Holle