tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/valves ValveBase.java
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:17:03 GMT
Jan Luehe wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>>Actually, this is probably a bad idea (or at least the implementation is
>>bad): the logger must be retrieved only when the context class loader of
>>the application is set.
>
> This is where I'm not following: ;-)
> I don't see any dependency on the context's context class loader when
> calling ContainerBase.getLogger(), which is implemented like this:
>
>   logger = LogFactory.getLog(logName());
>
> A context's context class loader is required only for loading webapp
> resources.

The configuration for that logger should be doable at the webapp level
(to summarize, I'd like to be able to have my logger configured using
either /WEB-INF/classes/logging.properties or
common/classes/logging.properties if the first one does not exist). The
logging implementation gets which config it should lookup for the logger
based on what the context CL is when calling getLogger. So the context
CL needs to be set properly (or getLogger has to be called again).

Rémy