tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <>
Subject Logging The Revenge
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:10:54 GMT

As I will rewrite the documentation for java.util.logging, I'd like to
ask the question of how it will be packaged and distributed.

The package needs to be placed in the classpath (note: any custom
components, such as handlers, formatters, etc, can be deployed in other
classloaders, the only requirement is that their classes must be visible
to the classloader which contains the logging configuration where they
are used), and needs a system property to be used when starting the JVM
(using -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager).

The defaults provided by the java.util.logging implementation inside the
JVM are acceptable for a development use (if usage remains simple
enough), but are bad for production. So overall, it is decent, but could
be better.

If the implementation is bundled, I'd recommend including it directly
inside bootstrap.jar. If it's not, the package should be as easy to
install as possible (it will be very small, it's a start :) ).

Comments ?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message