tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Logging The Revenge
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 03:08:12 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 6:10 PM
Subject: Logging The Revenge

>Hi,
>
>As I will rewrite the documentation for java.util.logging, I'd like to
>ask the question of how it will be packaged and distributed.
>
>The package needs to be placed in the classpath (note: any custom
>components, such as handlers, formatters, etc, can be deployed in other
>classloaders, the only requirement is that their classes must be visible
>to the classloader which contains the logging configuration where they
>are used), and needs a system property to be used when starting the JVM
>(using -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager).
>
>The defaults provided by the java.util.logging implementation inside the
>JVM are acceptable for a development use (if usage remains simple
>enough), but are bad for production. So overall, it is decent, but could
>be better.
>
>If the implementation is bundled, I'd recommend including it directly
>inside bootstrap.jar. If it's not, the package should be as easy to
>install as possible (it will be very small, it's a start :) ).
>
>Comments ?

As a log4j user I'd prefer a separate jar for Juli (so that I can remove her
easily :).  I'm pretty agnostic as to including it in the default
tomcat-5.5.x.tar.gz or as tomcat-logging.tar.gz.  In the second case, it
should be enough to have tomcat-juli.jar.  It's easy enough to have
catalina.sh/bat look to see if tomcat-juli.jar is in bin and add
the -Dj.u.l.m= to the JAVA_OPTS.

I haven't had time to look at it in detail, but from what I have looked at
Juli looks nice.