tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm RealmBase.java
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:17:41 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
RealmBase.java

>luehe@apache.org wrote:
>> luehe       2005/03/02 11:27:11
>>
>>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
RealmBase.java
>>   Log:
>>   Consider the case where original request was mapped to welcome page.
>>   In this case, the mapped welcome page (and not the original request
>>   URI!) needs to be the target of hasResourcePermission().
>>
>>   This is consistent with the change that had been made in
findSecurityConstraints().

>>   BTW, shouldn't request.getDecodedRequestURI() return the mapped
>>   welcome page (instead of the original URI) in this case?
>>   In other words, shouldn't the path passed to
>>     mappingData.requestPath.setString(pathStr)
>>   in Mapper.java be propagated to the request object associatd with the
>>   mappingData?
>
>I consider welcome files to be internal forwards (since it is allowed to
>handle them this way). As a result, they shouldn't be matched by
>secrurity constraints. Only the original request path should be the used
>(so here it's getDecodedRequestURI - as sent by the client).

I agree with Remy.  It's an internal Tomcat implementation detail that
welcome-files aren't handled via DefaultServlet doing:
  RequestDispatcher rd = request.getRequestDispatcher(welcome[i]);
  rd.forward(request, response);
Since this is explicitly allowed by the spec, nobody can expect that a
security-constraint mapped only to the welcome-file will be applied.
However, this is probably another thing that should be better specified in
the 2.5 spec.