tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From G√ľnter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Current Connector Development
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:53:33 GMT
Hi Mladen,
appologies that I couldnt closely follow the connector development in the past year, so I'm
somewhat suprised about all the recent directions....; and cant really understand them; so
I would greatly appreciate if you could do a summarize why you are currently again developing
to mod_jk...

well, what I see is this:
after more than one year stagnation on the mod_jk2 connector we started again, made it comilable
on all platforms, and improved it a lot, cleaned up the code cause we made APR mandatory,
and did a release. Many users where happy with it, and a lot of new users came and saw 'hey,
thats the new connector' and tried it; others migrated and found mod_jk2 faster over mod_jk.

Few time later you are not lucky with mod_jk2, and you just want to start another conenctor;
and after some discussion you agreed to create mod_proy_ajp.

Then suddenly, just after mod_proy_ajp is just born - and I cant believe that it is only cause
I couldnt follow up with development - I see that you state that mod_jk2 has come to its end
cause of no developers and no users interest....

really suprised of this all I get mail from Novell asking for help since mod_jk is now broken.....
we have just fixed it so we could folow up with the 1.2.8 release, and you continue to break
it ......

If I recall correctly we commonly agreed with last time's discussion that we stay with mod_jk
_as_is_ and dont move to APR or such, and that mod_jk should mainly remain for our Apache
1.3.x users while Apache 2.x users should use mod_jk2 or also now mod_proxy_ajp - so what
has changed this direction now??

Mladen, if you continue with the mod_jk development I fear that we end up the same as with
mod_jk2: you will certainly break Apache 1.3.x support - at least on NetWare, and that's _very_
bad cause it's a shipping product of NetWare 6.

greets, Guenter.