tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <>
Subject Re: Changing the Tomcat5 WIN32 service runner
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:00:40 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 06:31 AM 2/21/2005, Mladen Turk wrote:
>>Unlike any other java or java/jni implementations
>>it does not tries to make a java as a service, but
>>rather makes a batch (.bat) file as a service.
> IIUC, that means;
>   1. service signals (shutdown etc) aren't recognized by cmd
>      (sh for you linux observers) in any useful manner.
>   2. it invokes cmd, which invokes the apps.  You are stuck
>      with an instance of cmd for the lifetime of the process.
> Seems like a big leap backwards, IMHO.  If anything, a psuedo-sh
> script interpreter which picked up the envvar assignments (the
> only thing you want to move to .cmd for, anyways) makes more
> sense than this.

Would it be possible to have the signals intercepted and cause the
execution of the .bat file with different params ( like 'stop' or
'reload' or 'start' ), similar with unix init.d files ?

I like the idea of running a .bat ( or arbitrary .exe ) as a service
based on the analogy with the init.d files - but it needs the
stop/restart as well.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message