tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Logging (was: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java JAASMemoryLoginModule.java JDBCRealm.java JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java UserDatabaseRealm.java)
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:55:31 GMT
Jan Luehe wrote:
> Remy,
>
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>>Jan Luehe wrote:
>>
>>It's a little risky. We should use the container logger only while the
>>classloader is initialized.
>>
>>It's probably far from perfect ;)
>
> Then how about RealmBase.authenticate()?
>
> RealmBase.authenticate(String username, String credentials)
> uses Container.getLogger(), whereas the other RealmBase.authenticate()
> methods use LogFactory.getLog(). Shouldn't this be consistent?
> This is where my confusion has stemmed from.

Well, yes, it's a problem. It's simple: as soon as the container is
started, all the container logging should go to container.getLogger(),
as it used to in Tomcat 4.x.

That was my idea.

> If you agree, I can help make the inconsistent cases consistent.

Sure.

>>In parallel, I want to start a commons component about a j.u.logging
>>implementation keyed per classloader (as seen in bug 33143; it may be
>>expanded a little later to allow per classloader configuration).
>>
>>I'm looking for committers for the proposal :)
>
> Sounds interesting!

Actually, it's not a very interesting project ;)

The support for j.u.logging is bad at the moment, as there is no (to my
knowledge) implementation of j.u.logging which can realistically be used
in a server like Tomcat. I hope the core (log manager + rotatable
logger) can fit inside a JAR smaller than c-l-api.

Before moving to commons (svn is scaring me ;) ), I think I should start
putting the code together in j-t-c/juli (as mentioned, juli means Java
Util Logging Implementation). Is that ok ? (and is the name ok ?)

Rémy