tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java JAASMemoryLoginModule.java JDBCRealm.java JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java UserDatabaseRealm.java
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:19:12 GMT
Remy,

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jan Luehe wrote:
>
>>Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>
>>I'm still confused. ;-)
>>Which log messages are supposed to go to LogFactory.getLog(), and which
>>ones to Container.getLogger()?
>>For example, in StandardContext.java, we're using LogFactory.getLog()
>>exclusively. Shouldn't most of them also be considered app specific
>>and therefore be directed to Container.getLogger()?
>

> It's a little risky. We should use the container logger only while the
> classloader is initialized.
>
> It's probably far from perfect ;)

Then how about RealmBase.authenticate()?

RealmBase.authenticate(String username, String credentials)
uses Container.getLogger(), whereas the other RealmBase.authenticate()
methods use LogFactory.getLog(). Shouldn't this be consistent?
This is where my confusion has stemmed from.

If you agree, I can help make the inconsistent cases consistent.

> In parallel, I want to start a commons component about a j.u.logging
> implementation keyed per classloader (as seen in bug 33143; it may be
> expanded a little later to allow per classloader configuration).
>
> I'm looking for committers for the proposal :)

Sounds interesting!

Jan