tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java JAASMemoryLoginModule.java JDBCRealm.java JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java UserDatabaseRealm.java
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:17:20 GMT
Jan Luehe wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> I'm still confused. ;-)
> Which log messages are supposed to go to LogFactory.getLog(), and which
> ones to Container.getLogger()?
> For example, in StandardContext.java, we're using LogFactory.getLog()
> exclusively. Shouldn't most of them also be considered app specific
> and therefore be directed to Container.getLogger()?

It's a little risky. We should use the container logger only while the
classloader is initialized.

It's probably far from perfect ;)

> I understand the difference between the 2 "Log" types is that one
> carries the app name and the container nesting levels in its name,
> whereas the other carries the fully qualified class name of the
> container class that issued the log message.
>
> Therefore, while the former allows log messages to be differentiated
> by app name in the server log, the latter allows to pinpoint the
> container component that printed the log message. I think a combination
> of the two would be most useful.
>
> I also think it would make sense to be able to distinguish the log
> messages issued by ServletContext.log() from those log messages
> that originate from the container.

Yes, but from what I understand nobody uses these stupid ServletContext
log methods anymore (they're right, it's a good idea :) ). So the log
would be empty quite often, and the per container categories are useless.

I think the per container Logger from Tomcat 4.x was decent, that's what
I'm trying to replicate.

> I'll undo my 2 previous commits until I have a better understanding
> of the issue.

In parallel, I want to start a commons component about a j.u.logging
implementation keyed per classloader (as seen in bug 33143; it may be
expanded a little later to allow per classloader configuration).

I'm looking for committers for the proposal :)

Rémy