tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java JAASMemoryLoginModule.java JDBCRealm.java JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java UserDatabaseRealm.java
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:47:37 GMT
Jan Luehe wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>>luehe@apache.org wrote:
>>

>>>luehe       2005/02/18 11:17:57
>>>
>>> Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
>>>                       DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java
>>>                       JAASMemoryLoginModule.java JDBCRealm.java
>>>                       JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java
>>>                       UserDatabaseRealm.java
>>> Log:
>>> More logging cleanup
>>

>>I disagree with these changes: all these logs are application specific,
>>which is why I direct them to the application category.
>>
>>Can you explain why it is bad ?
>

> I think the boundaries between container and application specific logs
> has been pretty blurred, and we've been using the two inconsistently in
> the past.
>
> In my interpretation, any log messages issued by ServletContext.log()
> should be directed to container.getLogger(), but any container
> generated log messages should be directed to LogFactory.getLog().
>
> Where do you see the line? This has been something that has confused
> me in the past.

The thing has been blurred in 5.0. In 4.1, loggers were associated with
containers (ex: a context). All logging for the container (including all
subcomponents such as realm, manager, etc) would go to it. I liked that
better.

I reintroduced that in 5.5 by adding a per container category (with
nesting).

Rémy