tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java JAASMemoryLoginModule.java JDBCRealm.java JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java UserDatabaseRealm.java
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:23:01 GMT

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> luehe@apache.org wrote:
>
>>luehe       2005/02/18 11:17:57
>>
>>  Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
>>                        DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java
>>                        JAASMemoryLoginModule.java JDBCRealm.java
>>                        JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java
>>                        UserDatabaseRealm.java
>>  Log:
>>  More logging cleanup
>

> I disagree with these changes: all these logs are application specific,
> which is why I direct them to the application category.
>
> Can you explain why it is bad ?

I think the boundaries between container and application specific logs
has been pretty blurred, and we've been using the two inconsistently in
the past.

In my interpretation, any log messages issued by ServletContext.log()
should be directed to container.getLogger(), but any container
generated log messages should be directed to LogFactory.getLog().

Where do you see the line? This has been something that has confused
me in the past.

Jan