tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: mod_jk release policy - was: JK 1.2.9-dev test results
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:35:54 GMT
Hans Schmid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just want to describe our usecase because we make heavy use of the
> local_worker and local_worker_only flags right now.
>

> We use those flags for 'maintenance' mode and failover very successfuly.

Cool ;).

> But please see our setup and usecase below.
>
> We only use one tomcat at a time to get traffic with a standby tomcat for maineneance.
> This scenario also covers failover. We do not use the loadbalancer to actually balance
> by factors.

OK. So basically you have two tomcat boxes where the second is used
only when you wish to put the first on maintenance?

Using new config:

worker.list=loadbalancer
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=ajp13-01,ajp13-02
worker.loadbalancer.sticky_session=True

worker.ajp13-01.disabled=0
worker.ajp13-02.disabled=1

Disabled flag initially mark the worker as disabled.
It will not be used until:

Use the jkstatus console and set the:
worker.ajp13-02.disabled=0
and
worker.ajp13-01.disabled=1

And that's it.
Existing sessions will be forwarded to ajp13-01,
while new will go to the ajp13-02.
No need to make tricks with symlnks, graceful restarts, etc.
What's more, it works on all platforms and all web servers.

Also take a look at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/config/workers.html
(Big red warning about worker names)

Regards,