tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup ContextConfig.java LocalStrings.properties
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:22:11 GMT
Remy,

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> luehe@apache.org wrote:
>
>>luehe       2005/02/14 11:27:41
>>
>>  Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup
>>                        ContextConfig.java LocalStrings.properties
>>  Log:
>>  Use configuration from alt-dd if specified.
>>  (Setter for alt-dd had been added to StandardContext, but this info
was never used.)

> What's the use of that ? I see it could be useful to deviate from the
> standard, but that's it ...

Yes, this is useful for when your web module is deployed as part of a
J2EE application inside a J2EE container. According to J2EE.8.3.1
("Assembling a J2EE Application"), step 3:

  The deployment descriptors for the J2EE modules must be edited to link
  internally satisfied dependencies and eliminate any redundant security
  role names. An optional element alt-dd [...] may be used when it is
  desirable to preserve the original deployment descriptor. The element
  alt-dd specifies an alternate deployment descriptor to use at
  deployment time.

> I suppose the field was lying around from TC 4.0, and not actually used,
> right ?

According to cvs, this StandardContext property was added in
TOMCAT_5_0_1.

Jan