tomcat-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ben Souther <bsout...@fwdco.com>
Subject RE: DO NOT REPLY [Bug 33339] - Shutdown script down not work
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:14:13 GMT
Al,
I read it thoroughly. Remy Maucharat didn't mention the platform he had
tested on until the 7th post and by then Yoav Shapira had already stated
that he tested it as well (with no mention of the platform). They also
agreed that the case would be re-opened if you could help them to
reproduce the problem.

My criticism is that you mentioned a developer from the users list who
also claimed to have problems shutting down Tocmat which would seem to
bolster your case -- except that he never mentioned whether or not he
was starting his own threads in his application.  You did not, however,
mention that I tested on the exact same distribution that you're having
problems on with a fresh download of TC and it ran fine.

If you're serious about getting to the root of the problem, which I
think you are, it's important that all facts are on the table -- even
the ones that don't support your argument.

-Ben



On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 01:43, Al Sutton wrote:
> Ben,
> 
> Please re-read my email. It is discussing the initial response I received
> from the -dev list, and then addressing the issue raised about it being
> distribution specific.
> 
> My critisism was that the bug was initially closed when the only attempt to
> re-produce it I was made aware of was made on a completely different
> platform and that it initially appeared that the -dev list did not have
> developers that were willing to investigate the problem.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Al.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ben Souther [mailto:bsouther@fwdco.com]
> Sent: 02 February 2005 22:25
> To: Tomcat Developers List
> Subject: RE: DO NOT REPLY [Bug 33339] - Shutdown script down not work
> 
> 
> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 16:54, Al Sutton wrote:
> > In answer to your points;
> >
> > on 3) I'm not asking for it tested on all distros, just those where issues
> > have arisen. If no-one has FC2 installed then thats something the group
> > should know about and should be able to say "Sorry, no-one has FC2",
> rather
> > than "Closed bug, doesn't work on [insert name of totally different
> platform
> > here]".
> >
> > The users mail list has a report from Drew Jorgenson if it not working on
> > RHAS 3, and I can confirm I've also seen the behaviour on SLES8 (i.e. a
> > non-redhat product), so I don't think it's distribution specific.
> 
> Just for the record, I tested on FC2 and posted the shell session on the
> users list. You responded to my email before writing this message.
> I've also stated that I'm willing to upgrade both the kernel and the JDK
> to test under an environment that is closer to yours.
> 
> Please don't omit these details when when writing to either list. At the
> very least, it's dishonest, at worst it's misleading and could cause
> people to waste time repeating things that have already been done.
> 
> -Ben
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message