tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Logging (was: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java JAASMemoryLoginModule.java JDBCRealm.java JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java UserDatabaseRealm.java)
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:53:26 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 2:55 AM
Subject: Logging (was: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java JAASMemoryLoginModule.java
JDBCRealm.java JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java UserDatabaseRealm.java)

> Jan Luehe wrote:
>> Remy,
>>
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>
>>>Jan Luehe wrote:
>>>
>>>It's a little risky. We should use the container logger only while the
>>>classloader is initialized.
>>>
>>>It's probably far from perfect ;)
>>
>> Then how about RealmBase.authenticate()?
>>
>> RealmBase.authenticate(String username, String credentials)
>> uses Container.getLogger(), whereas the other RealmBase.authenticate()
>> methods use LogFactory.getLog(). Shouldn't this be consistent?
>> This is where my confusion has stemmed from.
>
>Well, yes, it's a problem. It's simple: as soon as the container is
>started, all the container logging should go to container.getLogger(), as
>it used to in Tomcat 4.x.
>
>That was my idea.

Another option is to use something like:
  log = LogFactory.getLog(container.logName()+".RealmBase");

The output will usually go to the container log, but it allows you to only
set the Realm to log as debug.

>> If you agree, I can help make the inconsistent cases consistent.
>
>Sure.
>
>>>In parallel, I want to start a commons component about a j.u.logging
>>>implementation keyed per classloader (as seen in bug 33143; it may be
>>>expanded a little later to allow per classloader configuration).
>>>
>>>I'm looking for committers for the proposal :)
>>
>> Sounds interesting!
>
>Actually, it's not a very interesting project ;)
>
>The support for j.u.logging is bad at the moment, as there is no (to my
>knowledge) implementation of j.u.logging which can realistically be used in
>a server like Tomcat. I hope the core (log manager + rotatable logger) can
>fit inside a JAR smaller than c-l-api.
>
>Before moving to commons (svn is scaring me ;) ), I think I should start
>putting the code together in j-t-c/juli (as mentioned, juli means Java Util
>Logging Implementation). Is that ok ? (and is the name ok ?)

Welcome to j-t-c, Juli.