tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: mod_jk jni worker - apache + number of processes
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:00:45 GMT
The only way to do in-process with apache on unix is to use a
multithreaded MPM and a small number of processes ( and lots of
threads). JNI is not much more efficient than IPC - or at least not
in the simplistic use. Even the applets in mozilla/konqueror/etc run out
of process on unix ( but in-process on win and macosx ).

Writting apache modules in java has been attempted before -
unfortunately it never quite worked, and the multiprocess issue is just
one of the problems.

Costin

Fox,Tim wrote:
> Hi Mladen -
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I suspected as much.
>
> My real motivation here is to basically provide a java implementation of an apache module
or filter. I didn't want to communicate via sockets or whatever to a shared java process due
to performance considerations.

> Especially for doing stuff like setting the apache uri or filename via the request_rec,
I thought that this would incur too much overhead.

> I'm guessing this is something that has been considered before. Any ideas? Maybe it's
already been discounted for these reasons?

> Anyway, I guess this is turning into an Apache httpd question rather than a tomcat one!
:)