tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [INTRODUCE] apr-java
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:07:23 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is the work in progress for a new project I named apr-java.
>
> It offers a 'thin' layer using JNI over APR library.
> The initial code that I wrote over a year now had
> two way api, but I've decided to leave only
> Java->APR.
>
> I also have a working set of configure and make files
> for unixes, but since this is an overview of the technology,
> it's only a small subset of entire project, but you can get
> the picture :) .
>
> It will support around 90% of APR API (without things like
> strings, etc. that are well done inside java itself).
>
> The API itself on the Java side is done as close to the
> APR function call (apr_file_write -> File.write) with
> almost the same function parameters as well.
>
> You can see that the wrapping code is very thin in most
> cases with only a couple of lines for each function,
> mostly caused by pointer issues.
>
> I'm sending the gz file (tried zip but failed) so you can see
> what the general idea is. Of course the library can be extended
> with functions that APR doesn't offer (for now or never will).
> One of the things would be setting user and group for a process,
> sending data from parent to child process, etc.
>
> The question is:
> Is it acceptable (think that previous discussions say it is)
> Where to put that in the cvs.
>

> Comments?

Looks good.

It seems it still does a lot of String operations in native - unlike SWT
for example, where it's almost always byte[]. Also the typical memcpy,
etc should be included somewhere to allow data to move from/to the pool
and java heap.

Why not checking it in j-t-c ?

Just to make sure - you expect it to also have non-apr native methods ?

Costin