tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Q] TC 5.5.x/TC 5.0.x
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:16:37 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Stephane Bailliez wrote:
>
>> AFAIK development effort is focused on 5.5.x and some stuff backported
>> in 5.0.x. Until what point is it reasonable to expect something on the
>> 5.0.x branch ? Did you agree on a pseudo milestone to drop support ?
>
> Branches are supported as long as there are people willing to do the
> work. 3.3 is still supported, for example.

Fair enough, but resources are scarce, and fixing bugs and rolling
releases takes time. Last TC 3.3 release was 10 months ago, there has
been 1 release of TC 4.1 in the last 6 months and obvious effort are on
TC 5 since it is the latest API.

I just wanted to figure out what's the effort like on the 2 branches and
if 5.5 is considered to be somewhat production ready from your point.

I have had myself patches on the manager app against 4.1.30 in bugzilla
since may 2004 that I did for some customers. it's no big deal but if
they ask me to fix something else, I may tell them to upgrade to 5.x
instead.

At this point I'm using 5.0.x which looks good so far, but did not try
it in production yet. And was putting myself aside of 5.5.x (see below).

>> 5.5.x uses JRE 5.0 which may or may not be appropriate for many
>> organizations, so 5.0.x remains an in-between alternative for many
>> environments, but I'd like your developer opinion on the status of
>> each  branch as of today.
>

> 5.5 does not require Java 5. The default binary is packaged for Java 5,
> and there's a compatibility package adding a few JARs for Java 1.4.

Crap. I don't know how to read. Doh !

Thanks for the head up.

Stephane