tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [APR-JAVA] cvs upload
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:25:14 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> To be honest, I don't like where this is going. I think access to native
> functionality for tomcat is great - and starting with functionality
> provided by apr is ok. But there is a lot outside apr, and if this
> becomes 'apr - java interface', it won't be easy to add.

I agree with you. After all, the main focus is Tomcat support,
as APR's main focus is Httpd support.
One of the goals is to add openssl support, as well as witting
Servlet API four using by legacy applications (like module interface
for httpd).
Perhaps my posts led to wrong presumption that this is only JNI
wrapper over APR library.

> So maybe it would be better to rename it to org.apache.tomcat.jni or
> something, keep the apr stuff as 'tomcat interface with apr' ( with a
> comment that when/if apr does have an official binding - we can switch),
> and keep it open for the other non-apr stuff that may be interesting.

Sure, org.apache.tomcat.jni would be fine, and even better reflect the
purpose of the package.

Mladen.