tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/util CharsetMapper.java
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:44:26 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> There is no "advertising clause" in this. He made it clear that the code
> is donated to ASF, under ASF license. Mentioning that the author
> developed the code while working on a book or while being paid by a
> company can't be that bad.
>
> I don't understand why ASF is so advertising-fobic when it comes to
> authors or companies that donate code or employee time to ASF, but until
> recently strictly required advertisment for the code owner ( ASF ) not
> only in the code, but also on the web site.

I suppose you're not the one getting the cellphone calls while on
vacation about lawyers from large companies being very unhappy about
this comment, which is anything but clear.

The ASF also doesn't do advertisements. This comment was an advertisment.

That's the end of the discussion as far as I am concerned.

Rémy