tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IP issues
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:06:00 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> +1 to rewrite the code and go past this problem.

Since the consensus was on rewriting/removing, I have done the following:

- removed the locale to encoding list (which will have to be
reconstructed based on contributions); this opens up a relatively small
compatibility issue with some web applications (in particluar, Servlet
2.3 webapps assuming setLocale would magically set the encoding, and
Servlet 2.4 webapps without proper locale to encoding declarations)

- replaced the original "algorithm" with this one:
     public String getCharset(Locale locale) {
         // Match full language_country_variant first, then
language_country,
         // then language only
         String charset = map.getProperty(locale.toString());
         if (charset == null) {
             charset = map.getProperty(locale.getLanguage() + "_"
                     + locale.getCountry());
             if (charset == null) {
                 charset = map.getProperty(locale.getLanguage());
             }
         }
         return (charset);
     }

- removed the other file (LocaleToCharsetMap), which isn't used in
Tomcat 5.x

The old tainted Tomcat 3 version is attached (LocaleToCharsetMap).
The version now used in TC 5.5 is attached as well (CharsetMapper). The
class had been heavily rewritten by Craig already in the Tomcat 4.0
branch, and the locale->encoding list was externalized to a file (good
move by Craig, as usual).

This should hopefully clear the problem.

Rémy