tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: IP issues
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:58:14 GMT
Jason Hunter wrote:

>> nor see why we need an exception for such a such a small amount of code.
>

> You need an exception because (a) the code was included from a third
> party codebase and (b) a lot of research and testing went into compiling
> the map used by the mapper.
>
>> I can easily add an @author tag for you in the relevant files, but the
>> comment currently creates a legal doubt.
>

> As I wrote in my email and for the archived record, I want the classes
> to have the recognition that is expected when Apache includes code from
> a third party library that's under a license that requires attribution
> (just like Apache's).

The files says "copyright ASF" - but it seems that's not completely
accurate ( I assume someone mistakenly removed your "Copyright Jason
Hunder" ? ).

As an author, you should be able to keep any notice that you consider
apropriate. If you didn't explicitely assign the coypright to ASF ( or
to Sun ), than I don't think it would be right for anyone to remove your
name or attribution.

If you did assign the rights to ASF - then as you know anything can be
removed or changed by the new owner, including @author tags or any
mention of previous author ( just make sure your name does gets into
whatever obscure file lists all people who contributed something ) :-)

>> Note: Many companies and individuals donated more than these 10 lines
>> of code,

> Yes, and I too donated plenty of code to the Tomcat codebase.  But these
> classes I donated (to Sun at the time) with attribution because they
> were from a separate, pre-existing codebase with a life of its own.
>
> If you write a book and include a paragraph from someone else's book
> with permission, you mention it and you point at the source of the
> original work.  You don't just say, "Written by author X" you say,
> "Written by author X as part of book Y, published by Z."  That's why the
> attribution I put on those classes includes the who, what, and where.  I
> see it as the ethical thing to do.

I fully agree. Doesn't matter how small a contribution is ( or looks at
some later time ), keeping the reference to the author and whatever else
the author wants to include is the right thing to do ( if the code is
accepted and used ).

Too bad what's ethical doesn't matter that much, only copyrights and IP
ownership  :-)

Costin