tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IP issues
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:18:50 GMT
Jason Hunter wrote:
> I do have a CLA on file.  Aren't members required to?  :)
>
> That code donation happened while Tomcat was still Sun internal and I
> was helping Sun as a contractor.  Those were the good old days before I
> was burdened with the knowledge about IP rights that I've since acquired
> (as has Remy obviously).  It was even before Jakarta.
>
> I'm still fine with the donation.  Technically the code wouldn't be
> covered under the CLA since I didn't take action to donate the code to
> Apache; it just came over from Sun in the bundle.  I'm happy to go on
> record here as giving it a formal stamp of approval, with the one caveat
> that I'd like it to retain attribution since the classes have a life of
> their own separately.  I believe Apache has policies for including code
> with attribution.  Our own license requires attribution, so we'd
> better.  :)

Jumping back to the thread I started since I'm back from vacation ...

The comment includes "Used by Sun Microsystems with permission.". I
don't see any explicit permission for this item (so AFAIK, we're not
covered if we mention we need Sun's permission for that code), nor see
why we need an exception for such a such a small amount of code.

I can easily add an @author tag for you in the relevant files, but the
comment currently creates a legal doubt.

Note: Many companies and individuals donated more than these 10 lines of
code, and they do not get any special treatment besides author tags
(which many want to remove). A comment is clearly excessive. Is there an
advertising clause in the license you used ?

Rémy