tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: adding features to Status servlet
Date Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:50:30 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Peter Lin wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of adding system load stats to the status servlet. What
>> do other's think about it? It would use JNI to call a native lib and
>> it would only work on unix, but it would be good to have.
>

> Well, I'm working over a year now on a project that I've called
> apr-java. This is a thin (for now) wrapper around apr and apr-utils,
> so it will be supported on all platforms the apr is.
> Things like true shared memory, process mutexes, advanced networking,
> pipes, etc. that are missing from the core Java will be supported.
> Usages are many, like writing high-performance networking connector
> for Tomcat, making Tomcat a Apache mpm-like server with multiple
> JVMs, etc...
>
> I hope I'll have a working start point this month, so we could discuss
> is it worth the effort at all, would it fit inside JTC, commons, or
> to go trough apache incubation as a separate project.
>
> Mladen.

Anything that allows Java to do things only native apps can do instead
of beeing as dumb as the dumbest platform is worth the effort :-)

JTC already has some apr and jni code ( it is true, using the dead jk2
model ), why not start there and if it grows big enough move to commons?

BTW - it would be really great if it would use the SWT model, i.e. JNI
methods matching exactly the APR signatures and param types, with
minimal ammount of C wrapper code. It works really well, and it's the
easiest to maintain and fastest of all JNI flavors I've seen.

Costin