tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Jaquith <arjaqu...@mindspring.com>
Subject JNDI resources available to auth realms?
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:54:08 GMT
Greetings,

A while back I did some patch work on the catalina.realm.JAASRealm
class. I learned a lot in the process.

Shortly thereafter, I wrote a (personal) JAAS LoginModule that uses a
JDBC database as the authentication data source. It works great. One of
the things I wished I could incorporate into the LoginModule was the
ability to leverage Tomcat-managed JNDI resources. That way, I could
take advantage of connection pooling, reduce the need to spray
credentials into JAAS conf files, etc.

I tried to do it, but couldn't make it work. After many days of
troubleshooting and debugging, I realized the source of the problem.
JNDI resources did not seem to be available to the threads that call
JAASRealm (or any other realms, for that matter). I noted that the
JDBCRealm has this TODO:

   Support connection pooling (including message
   format objects) so that <code>authenticate()</code> does not have to
be
   synchronized and would fix the ugly connection logic.

Making JNDI resources available to the realms would fix my problem and
this one too; all that would be required would be some sort of
JNDICallback that JAASCallbackHandler could use to satisfy a JNDI
resource request by the JAAS login module. Assuming that making JNDI
resources (read-only copies of the global + local context resources)
available is a good idea, what's the best way to go about it? I looked
at quite a bit of code in catalina/naming and other places; it wasn't
very obvious how to do it.

Regards,

Andrew