tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/http LocaleToCharsetMap.java
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:42:00 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <remm@apache.org>
To: <jakarta-tomcat-connectors-cvs@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 1:29 AM
Subject: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/http
LocaleToCharsetMap.java

> remm        2005/01/05 01:29:19
>
>   Removed:     util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/http
>                         LocaleToCharsetMap.java
>   Log:
>   - I cannot clean IP in this file. If it is needed by Tomcat 3, I think
it'll need to be added back (with
>     proper attribution) to the Tomcat 3 codebase. Sorry for the trouble :(

Yup. Tomcat 3 does have references to it.  Fortunately, Xalan is currently
broken so Gump isn't nagging about it :).

The choices seem to be to re-add it to j-t (and have the o.a.t.u.http
package split across two jars), or to clean the references to it.  In the
first case, I'd propose removing the references to Sun, but leaving the
javadoc copy of Jason's attribution.

To clean it:  ErrorHandler is applying it to the platform Locale, which is
silly.  I'd propose adding a 'useCharset' attribute to ErrorHandler, and if
unset default to the Request charset (which is smarter).  StaticInterceptor
uses only for directory listings when its 'useCharset' attribute is set to
'locale'.  In this case, the charset could simply be an entry in the
associated ResourceBundle (since the current incarnation must look really
weird when it gets an 'Accept-Language: ar' request header :).

Personally, I can go either way on this one.