tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core StandardContext.java
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:58:31 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
StandardContext.java

>Mark Thomas wrote:
>> FWIW I also did some testing around this on TC5. Multiple services that
>> each contain an engine with the same name creates all sorts of confusion.
>> It behaves as if the same engine is shared by multiple services but I
>> haven't looked at the code yet so I am not 100% sure what is actually
>> going on.
>>
>> Until I figure out what is going on the work-around (for those few users
>> who might have this setup) is simple - use different names for the each
>> engine.
>
>Yes, there's still redundant data in this area (name on both the engine and
>service), and not enough checks are done. Engine names must be unique, and
>should match the associated service name (as at the end, it ends up being
>used as the JMX domain).
>
>One cleanup area I missed in 5.5 development. I suppose there was far more
>urgent cleanup to do, and we can now focus on details that were overlooked
>:)
>(but after Yoav tags 5.5.7, thx ;) )

Yes, merging the Engine and the Service would have been a nice cleanup for
5.5, but wasn't as urgent as the other stuff.  For example, from the JMX
OName point of view, it looks like it should be possible to have multiple
Services attached to the same Engine (but you certainly can't have multiple
Engines with the same Service).

Given that 5.5 has had a stable release, it's probably not a good idea to do
this in that branch.  Possibly something for the TC 6 release plan.