tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: adding features to Status servlet
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:27:03 GMT
I would personally have some reservations about doing this... It's a
little better if it's a module you can activate and deactivate, but still...

First, if it's not something you can do cross-platform, I'm not sure I'd
like it.  AFAIK Tomcat is nicely cross-platform now, anything that
breaks that wouldn't be good I think.  I understand this would be an
optional component (right?), so it wouldn't actually be *breaking*
anything, but the expectation I think is that anything in Tomcat works
on all platforms, so would it be a good thing to introduce something
that doesn't fit that mold?

Second, and more importantly, it doesn't feel right to me to expose this
type of information through an app server.  Your talking about
statistics that aren't truly related to the app server, although is
certainly affected by the app server, so it's debatable whether they
should be there or not.  I agree this is useful information to have
access to, but I'm not sure it'd be the right place for it.

Have you considered maybe making this part of some Commons package?
Make it something that any app could make use of, that might be a very
nice thing.  Heck, it might be somewhere in there already for all I know.

Just my thoughts on it anyway.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect