tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Roth <Mark.R...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: executing jsp independently
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:28:20 GMT
Nishant,

In JSP 2.0, we laid some of the groundwork for running JSPs
independently of a container.  Here are some pointers:

1. The JspContext API does not rely on any Servlet APIs.  JspContext
    is the new superclass for PageContext.
2. JspFragment does not rely on any Servlet APIs
3. Tag Files do not rely on having a request / response and do
    not need any Servlet APIs.

I'm sure it's possible to emulate a full Servlet environment, but I
think the right way to do this is to start the execution from a tag file
instead of a JSP page.  Tag files were designed to be able to run
without a container if need be.  You'd still need to emulate the
request/session/application scopes, but that's about it.  Tag files have
the same capabilities as JSP pages, but they don't need a ServletRequest
/ ServletResponse.

This is work the JSP is eventually interested in formalizing in the
spec, so we'd be very interested in your feedback.  Please report back
on our JSP spec mailing list with your progress and findings:

     https://jsp-spec-public.dev.java.net/

---
Mark Roth, Staff Engineer, Java Software
JSP 2.0 / 2.1 Specification Lead
Java Enterprise Community Leader
http://community.java.net/java-enterprise
Sun Microsystems, Inc.