tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Quite *different* behaviour of JDT compiler and ant compiler.
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:31:49 GMT
Dominik Drzewiecki wrote:

> [...]
>

>notags.jsp
>
><%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/fmt" prefix="fmt" %>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>    <H1>fmt taglib</H1>
>      <jsp:useBean id="now" class="java.util.Date"/>
>      <fmt:formatDate value="${now}" type="both"/>
>

>tags.jsp
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>    <H1>no fmt taglib</H1>
>      <%=java.text.DateFormat.getDateTimeInstance().format(new
>java.util.Date()) %>
>

>WEB-INF/web.xml
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
>
><web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
>    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>    xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
>http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
>    version="2.4">
>
>   <description>Tagtest Application</description>
>   <display-name>tagtest</display-name>
>
>   <welcome-file-list>
>      <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
>   </welcome-file-list>
>
></web-app>
>

>META-INF/context.xml
>
><Context antiJARLocking="true">
></Context>
>
>There are also jstl.jar and standard.jar below WEB-INF/lib
>
>With such an application I have conducted two types of tests:
>1. with an out-of-the-box jdt-compiler
>2. with an old-style ant-compiler. (I substituted jdt as follows: removed
>jasper-compiler-jdt.jar, copied ant.jar and
>ant-launcher.jar from tomcat 5.0.30 distro to common/lib, copied tools.jar
>from java 5.0 sdk to common/lib. No changes in default web.xml)
>
>Each test consisted of the following steps:
>1. Clean tomcat startup
>2. ant deploy
>3. access http://localhost:8080/tagtest/notags.jsp (this invokes the jsp
>compilation)
>4. ant undeploy
>5. ant list, check webapp dir to see if there is anything left in the
>context dir
>
>6. ant deploy
>7. access http://localhost:8080/tagtest/tags.jsp (this invokes the jsp
>compilation with the dependant taglib)
>8. ant undeploy
>9. ant list, check webapp dir to see if there is anything left in the
>context dir
>
>And now (drumroll...) the conclusions:
>When using the old ant-compiler (notice that the fork is set to false) all
>nine steps of the test pass. After the ninth one (the successfull
>undeployment) there is nothing left (no context dir in the webapp
>directory). After switching back to the JDT compiler, thought the undeploy
>task completes with the OK status, there is the taglib
>(tagtest/WEB-INF/lib/standard.jar) left. This doesn't happen (with either
>compiler) if the application beeing deployed is precompiled, of course.
>This leads (me) to the conclusion that JDT screws things up.
>
>I am not reopening a bug report, as I do not want to get cursed by Remy ;).

I really hate when people post for "bugs" like this on tomcat-dev: they
cannot even be bothered to read the mailing list guidelines and post to
the right mailing list instead of either bugzilla or tomcat-dev.

>I have been struggling with this problem for quite some time with an
>application I currently develop. It really makes the deployment cycle
>tiresome (I have to restart tomcat, grrrr). And the antiJARLocking neither
>antiResourceLocking solution seems to work - I have tried several
>combinations: antiJARLocking="true" on context.xml,
>antiResourceLocking="true" on context.xml, antiJARLocking="true" on default
>context.xml and antiResourceLocking="true" on default context.xml

Try harder. If you cannot, then use a real operating system to work with.

>The test setup was: W2K/WXP, Tomcat 5.5.6 (ant compiler jars taken from
>Tomcat 5.0.30), Java 5.0 SDK
>
>If anyone cares, I can provide the test application used for described
>tests containing an ant build/deployment script (slightly modified
>build.xml from the deployer package).

For user questions, try tomcat-user.

Rémy