tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Custom HttpSession passivation?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:20:17 GMT
I have a need to passivate HttpSessions on a more aggressive basis than
that of timing them out.

Default behavior is to time out a sessions after 30 minutes of
inactivity -- which is fine.

Rather I need to be able to passivate sessions to disk after say 10-15
minutes or rather passivate all but the last 'n' (e.g. 200) to disk --
re-activating these if/when necessary (i.e. when a request comes in for
the given session).

Am I missing a configuration option for such behavior in Tomcat?  [Is
this something SunONE or WebSphere add on top of the base code they
share with Tomcat?]

If not, do APIs exist for:

    * Passivation of individual sessions, i.e. serializing them to disk,
      calling the right listeners, etc?
    * Activation of individual sessions, i.e. re-storing them from disk,
      cleaning files from disk as appropriate, calling the right
      listeners, etc?
          o Is this done automatically on attempts to access the session
            in question?

I'm using Tomcat 5.0.30 and 4.1.24, though I could limit things to
5.0.30 if that helps.  [I could /possibly/ even pursue 5.5.x if that
helps enough, but there are significant obstacles to us pursuing this
direction at this time.]

Any/all pointers in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

--
Jess Holle
jessh@ptc.com