tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Annoyance in the deployer
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:48:14 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 9:39 AM
Subject: Annoyance in the deployer

>Hi,
>
>Not something major, but there's that in the deployer:
>                // Make sure there is an application configuration
> directory
>                // This is needed if the Context appBase is the same as the
>                // web server document root to make sure only web
> applications
>                // are deployed and not directories for web space.
>                File webInf = new File(dir, "/WEB-INF");
>                if (!webInf.exists() || !webInf.isDirectory() ||
>                    !webInf.canRead())
>                    continue;
>
>Is that really useful ? I ask because it prevents dropping a folder
>containing a bunch of files in webapps (without creating a stupid WEB-INF
>folder), which could be annoying.

Actually, I recently had a case where someone accidentally deleted WEB-INF
on a development box.  When the Context didn't load, the problem was noticed
immediately :).

Personally, I like the check (but won't veto the change).  But then, I
believe that dropping in a folder containing a bunch of static files is what
the Alias directive in Apache/httpd is for ;-).