tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: contrib directory
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:02:14 GMT
Garrison, Meg wrote:
> Hi Leslie,
>
> I'm also willing to maintain the HP OpenVMS scripts.  Rather than create
> a whole new project (tomcat-contrib) maybe it would be possible for the
> Tomcat folks to grant us commit access to a single module/folder in
> their CVS library (a contrib folder of some sort).  Then they wouldn't
> have to worry about committing our changes, etc..  If we misbehave and
> don't follow their rules, then they have the option to "boot us out".
> That's how the NetBeans project does it.  For example, I have commit
> powers in the core module, which is where the OpenVMS launcher lives,
> but no other.  Our needs for NetBeans (as yours, I'm sure) require that
> the default Tomcat distribution contain our launcher somewhere...it
> doesn't have to be in /bin.

It would be a good idea, but I don't think it is possible at the moment.

Commit access requires a unix account on a machine, at least for cvs.
Even if this could be solved - there are non-technical problems, ASF
requires a CLA, and a certain review and oversight process.

Ant has an ant-contrib project on sourceforge ( including few ant
committers ). Maybe we should have a tomcat-contrib as well. This would
be a good idea even for committers - there is experimental stuff and
code that is not necesarily "servlet container" but is tomcat related (
like non-http servers, etc ).

Costin