tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/valves ByteBufferAccessLogValve.java mbeans-descriptors.xml
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:28:08 GMT
Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I can explore that. I will re-add the writerThread for now
>>> since the current implementation doesn't work since the byteBuffer
>>> will never be flushed. This is temporary. Again, consider this valve
>>> as exploration.
>>

>> I do agree to some extent with the rest (except your benchmark
>> results, which look wrong)
>

> Well, I do trust my performance team :-)

Sounds fair :) It doesn't convince me though, as the two implementations
do more or less the same thing (unless on the VM and platform they
tested on, classic IO sucks and NIO is more optimized - not the case on
Window$, from what I can see) ;)

 > Fine. I will remove it.

I'm ok with that, since if you leave it around, I would start hacking it ;)

The background thread per component was (IMO) the biggest design mistake
in 4.x.

Rémy