tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/valves ByteBufferAccessLogValve.java mbeans-descriptors.xml
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:36:57 GMT
Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:

> Without access log valve, we are 20% faster. With the ByteBuffer one,
> 13%.

There are 3 access log valves ;) Maybe you should give a chart.

I'll do my byte based improvements (to be able to save on char to byte)
in your implementation.

The buffer isn't big enough. 16k will hold 500 requests maximum. If you
were afraid of doing one I/O operations, it's bad, as you'll end up
doing a lot of I/O synchronously. Can we allow the buffers to grow ? At
least they would need to be a lot bigger otherwise (we could "reinvest"
the memory saved from not having a background thread :) ).
Another trick if you want to tweak the interval inside the valve, you
can use an integer that you increment and do a modulo (i % n). I do that
for the manager checks (one check every 6 invocations of backgroundProcess).

Rémy