tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Francois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/valves ByteBufferAccessLogValve.java mbeans-descriptors.xml
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:01:53 GMT

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> jfarcand@apache.org wrote:
>
>> jfarcand    2004/11/19 08:46:27
>>
>>  Modified:    catalina/src/conf server.xml
>>               catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/valves
>>                        mbeans-descriptors.xml
>>  Added:       catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/valves
>>                        ByteBufferAccessLogValve.java
>>  Log:
>>  Add an asynchronous byte buffer based access log valve. The valve use
>> a direct byte buffer to store and save the log. I didn't use the
>> backgroundProcess since it's affect all components, but this should be
>> revisited.
>>
>>  Benchmarking this valve using jservlet (scalabilty) and trade2
>> (throughput) demonstrated a 13% improvement over the current access
>> log valves. Increasing the writerInterval improve performance too.
>>
>>  Note: I've tried to use a direct CharBuffer instead of a
>> StringBuffer, and its slower that the current approach (and the log
>> contains garbage, thank to a bug in NIO).
>>

> I disagree with this. The idea is that there is already an fast access
> logger. How about improving that one instead ?

Yes, I can do that. Mine was first "experimental", then based on the
result I've got, I decided to act like Costin (commit experimental stuff
:-) :-))

It is also not acceptable
> to use a background thread for this sole purpose (backgroundProcess is
> not server global - by default, it is, but that's all you can say about
> it).

Fine. It's easy to remove it.

> BTW, there's no way you get +13% over the fast access logger, since it
> has about 6% overhead on a static file test (compared with 25-30% for
> the normal one) ;)

Well, it approx. 20% without valve. Note that all benchmarks uses two
machines, and both use 250 users and dynamics pages.

-- Jeanfrancois