tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/valves mbeans-descriptors.xml
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:17:31 GMT wrote:

>jfarcand    2004/11/19 08:46:27
>  Modified:    catalina/src/conf server.xml
>               catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/valves
>                        mbeans-descriptors.xml
>  Added:       catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/valves
>  Log:
>  Add an asynchronous byte buffer based access log valve. The valve use a direct byte
buffer to store and save the log. I didn't use the backgroundProcess since it's affect all
components, but this should be revisited.
>  Benchmarking this valve using jservlet (scalabilty) and trade2 (throughput) demonstrated
a 13% improvement over the current access log valves. Increasing the writerInterval improve
performance too.
>  Note: I've tried to use a direct CharBuffer instead of a StringBuffer, and its slower
that the current approach (and the log contains garbage, thank to a bug in NIO).
I disagree with this. The idea is that there is already an fast access
logger. How about improving that one instead ? It is also not acceptable
to use a background thread for this sole purpose (backgroundProcess is
not server global - by default, it is, but that's all you can say about it).

BTW, there's no way you get +13% over the fast access logger, since it
has about 6% overhead on a static file test (compared with 25-30% for
the normal one) ;)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message