tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: tomcat 5.5.4 does not start when a single webapp fails
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:14:00 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Martin Grotzke wrote:
>
>> The Filter includes one statement:
>> System.setProperty( "javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory",
>> "org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl" );
>>
>> the webapp contains xerces-1.4.4 in WEB-INF/lib, this jar includes
>> org/apache/xerces/jaxp/DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl.class.
>>
>> but the part that's not a tomcat-"internals" issue does not have to be
>> discussed here, probably the tomcat-user-list is a better place for
>> this...
>
> Without a security manager, any application can set system properties,
> which are global. So here the JAXP settings will be changed for the
> whole system, which will produce random results (since only your
> webapp has visibility on the Xerces class) :(

There are clearly better ways to influence JAXP than this...

If there are no other META-INF services entries for document builders in
the class loader prior to the web app's (which I believe is the case in
5.5), then just having your Xerces (which should have such a META-INF
entry) in your web app should suffice.

But honestly, Xerces 1.4.4!?!  That's positively ancient.

--
Jess Holle