tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Grotzke <martin.grot...@javakaffee.de>
Subject Re: tomcat 5.5.4 does not start when a single webapp fails
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:15:35 GMT
On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 15:05, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Martin Grotzke wrote:
>
> >The Filter includes one statement:
> >System.setProperty( "javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory",
> >"org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl" );
> >
> >the webapp contains xerces-1.4.4 in WEB-INF/lib, this jar includes
> >org/apache/xerces/jaxp/DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl.class.
> >
> >but the part that's not a tomcat-"internals" issue does not have to be
> >discussed here, probably the tomcat-user-list is a better place for
> >this...
> >

> Without a security manager, any application can set system properties,
> which are global. So here the JAXP settings will be changed for the
> whole system, which will produce random results (since only your webapp
> has visibility on the Xerces class) :(
You're right. The listener was not written by me, so i don't know
why this way was chosen.
I changed the implementation, now it checks if jaxp is yet configured.
Thanx for your pointers concerning this!

Perhaps interesting for you:
Write a servlet context listener with the following implementation
>     public void contextInitialized( ServletContextEvent sce ) {
>         System.setProperty( "javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory", "org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl"
);
>     }

this prevents tomcat 5.5.4 from starting successfully,
in tomcat 5.5.3 it has no impact.

cheers,
martin