tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector RequestFacade.java LocalStrings.properties
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:35:37 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Luehe" <Jan.Luehe@Sun.COM>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector
RequestFacade.java LocalStrings.properties

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
> > luehe@apache.org wrote:
> >

> >>luehe       2004/11/01 14:38:44
> >>
> >> Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector
> >>                       RequestFacade.java LocalStrings.properties
> >> Log:
> >> Throw more meaningful exception (instead of NPE) if underlying request
has been
> >> recycled and attempt is made to access it via its facade
> >>

> > I think I always consistently refused this change (no use: if people who
> > hack can't be bothered to look that up in the code, then I don't think
> > they'll understand what your exception really means either), but I'll
> > give up on that one.
>
> In this case, it's useful because rather than instinctively filing a bug
> against Tomcat when seeing a NPE, people will be reminded to check their
> code first, because they're obviously using Tomcat in a way it was not
> intended to be used.

I agree with Remy:  It's totally unnecessary, and gives somebody reading the
code that the request can be null.  The javadocs should probably be updated
with something like:
  * @exception IllegalStateException If you are a total moron without a clue
;-)