tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JMX Remote connection
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:55:00 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:
> In general the same-user, same-machine stuff works great (including with
> Tomcat 5) if you specify
>
>    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
>
> as part of the command line.

Again - remember not everyone is using Sun JDK1.5 implementation.

My understanding is Macs don't have 1.5 yet, neither most other platforms.

> This is without any special web app or such.
>
> What I really want to see is a nice bit of code that allows you to fire
> up a JMX RMI connector that:
>
>    * Finds the first free port in a range (e.g. assuming you have a
>      number of slave processes, this does not apply to Tomcat as it
>      does not have such logic for it AJP port, etc).
>    * Support user/password and SSL
>    * Does not rely on implementation internals, i.e. requiring Java 5
>      is fine, but having hooks into sun.* or MX4J or whatever classes
>      is no good

That's not hard to add. You actually need the first free port in the
range for rmiregistry - or you can use existing rmiregistry if one is
found.

You need different rmi names - that's easier.

Adding user/pass/ssl is not hard - if someone has the itch it shouldn't
be a problem. javax.man.remote has all that's needed AFAIK. IF you look
at jmxremote webapp that I checked in - there is no mx4j or sun code,
just plain javax.

Costin