tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: loader
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:16:00 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>

>>> What about commons-deamon?
>>>

>> What about it :-) ?
>>
>> Daemon is a different level - it's about launching a resident process
>> (or service in windows ). No connection with how the process is loading
>> its classes.
>>

> Sure, but the wheel was invented long time ago :).
> How about making things usable?

Which things to make usable ? Daemon ? It's not my itch to start
services on windows:-)

Yes, the wheel was invented long ago - and we are still using the
simplistic hierarchical class loader + delegation.

> Do we really need all those different loaders?

That can be said about anything :-)

I'm making the compile optional - so if you don't explicitely ask for it
it'll not get compiled. When it's completely ready - I hope it will
replace Bootstrap/StandardClassLoader - so we'll still have 1 loader for
standalone.

If embeded - as I said, the intent is to not use the loader but the
embedor's loader - however ability to split tomcat in smaller components
and manage each separately should remain ( supported by the embedding
app loader ). That's why the loader is mirroring the fundamental
behavior of mlet/jboss/eclipse/osgi - i.e. repository of classloaders
delegating to each other.

Costin