tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Lothian <>
Subject Bug 4690: sessions not scoped according to spec section 7.3
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:56:32 GMT

Issue 4690 <> relates
to the Tomcat implementation of cross-context sessions.

The Pluto (JSR-168 Portlet RI) team need the behaviour in this area changed
to be able to properly implement JSR-168.

I understand that this is an underspecified area of the servlet
specification. I believe that this area will be more completely specified as
part of the servlet 2.5 spec, which will be a good thing.

In the mean time I'd like to suggest that the Tomcat interpretation of the
spec isn't particularly useful, and that there are other interpretations
that would be more useful, and equally as "right".

Currently Tomcat's implementation of cross-context sessions means that if
you put an attribute into the session from inside a cross-context dispatcher
it cannot be retrieved.

I would argue that:

"Any object bound into a session is available to any other servlet that
belongs to the
same ServletContext and handles a request identified as being a part of the
session." -- SRV.7.4

indicates that cross-context sessions should be handled in the same way as
normal sessions - particularly since the alternate interpretation makes
sessions useless when used from a cross context  dispatcher.

What do people think? Have I persuaded anyone yet?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message