tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Fisher, Mitchell L" <Mitchell.Fis...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core ApplicationHttpResponse.java
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:30:39 GMT
The HTTP response to the user should reflect their request to the named resource.  If the user-requested
JSP was found, then a 404 Not Found is not an appropriate response, the resource requested
was found.

If the server is unable to properly form a response, because some component/resource referenced
by the user-requested resource is missing/unavailable/exceptioned/whatever, then the server
has experienced an error processing the request, and a better response would be  500 Internal
Server Error.

-Mitchell Fisher

-----Original Message-----
From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:remm@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 4:46 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
ApplicationHttpResponse.java

luehe@apache.org wrote:

>luehe       2004/10/14 17:00:35
>
>  Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
>                        ApplicationHttpResponse.java
>  Log:
>  Expose any errors on an included resource.
>
>  For example, a JSP with this include action:
>    <jsp:include page="nonexistent">
>  or
>    <jsp:include page="nonexistent.jsp">
>  where nonexistent[.jsp] does not exist, currently returns silently, hiding the
>  fact that the resource to be included does not exist.
>
>  This patch returns a 404 with the name of the nonexistent resource.
>
>  Yes, SRV.8.3 ("The Include Method") mentions that
>
>    "it [the target servlet] cannot set headers or call any method that
>    affects the headers of the response. Any attempt to do so must be
>    ignored."
>
>  but i don't think it is referring to the error case.
>
>  Let me know if you see any problems.

Same as Bill. It would be logical that it refers to the whole HTTP
header(all of its elements already are), since the idea is that it might
already have been sent.

It's true that we have no good way of reporting problems when including.
This has always been a problem from a user perspective.

Rémy