tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Blenkush <e...@commongrnd.com>
Subject JSP Compile Hangs
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:20:02 GMT
Hi,

On Tomcat 5.5.2 I am experiencing very long compile times(and hangs)
for certain JSP pages. The page has an EL expression like this:

${fn:toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:
toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:
toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:
toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:toUpperCase((fn:
toUpperCase(('b'))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))}

If you remove the extraneous parenthesis it will compile and execute
very quickly. However, if you add more nested calls to fn:toUpperCase
compiling will again take a very long time. So, this may be related to
the number of nested expressions. This is just a test case obviously
but I am generating JSPs automatically and it is difficult if not
impossible to avoid EL statements with these nested function calls.
Resin can compile and execute these pages very quickly but I want to
stick with Tomcat.

This is crucial to the project I am working on and if someone has an
idea of what is causing this and where to look in the tomcat source I
would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Eric Blenkush