tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: DefaultServlet and getOutputStream() / getWriter()
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:42:59 GMT
Steffen Heil wrote:

>I agree, that I am new to this and I might be wrong, but this leads me back
>right to where I started. Whom to ask to understand the existing code?

I implied it already: no one. There are too many people who have touched
the code, and too many tricky things going on. As a result, it is
impossible to get a real answer from anyone (without having the said
committer do just as much work as if he was trying to refactor the
DefaultServlet himself).

Hence my recommendation that we are likely not interested in this kind
of refactoring (unless you're an experienced committer and do proper
testing, etc). If you want to contribute, it would be far more useful if
you picked actual bugs to fix. This is a good introduction.

>I will propably do this some time soon. However, right now I am evaluating
>the Default Servlet code because I need to build my customized one and I
>thought a lot of work is already done. Not trying to reinvent the wheel
>though. That's why I am staring at DefaultServlet.java only right now.

While you are obviously free to reuse anything you want, I have to say
that I am very likely to refuse most of your contributions.

About the points in your message, while I don't see a problem with the
"OR EVEN" proposed replacement (but I didn't test it), changing to try /
finally does change the algorithm, and makes it more complex, especially
for closing the input stream. So I don't like that. About the previous
one (removing try/catch from doGet), I don't know. I don't think it
should be changed for now.

Rémy