tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JK Todo List
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:38:46 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:

> Bill Barker wrote:
>
>> Over all, I don't, personally, think that it's worth trying to build
>> on the existing Jk code base.  However, if you have an itch....
>>

> Well, we deceased JK2, for Apache2.1 we have proxy_ajp.
> Until Apache2.1 becomes the only server around the net,
> I'll stick with JK for all those not running my preferred
> web server :).

Right. However, I think JK 1.2.x needs some level of stability. So APR,
large architectural changes, etc seem bad ideas. Of your list, I think
documentation (yah !) and the Unix sockets backport would be good (if
not too complex), but that's about it. Modifications to the Java side is
something independent.

The new direction is basically making Apache (which has a continued
overwhelming market share) the preferred native webserver, with the
others still being supported, but with a limited feature set.

For the long term, if you would want better support for the other
servers, you can start a 100% APR replacement for JK 1.2 (I think it was
a bit like your mod_ajp) if you want to.

Rémy