tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: [5.5] Todo list
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:42:56 GMT
Just an fyi, At one time, I was thinking that AccessLogValve was bad for
performance. But I think it has no effect unless you are maxed out in processors.

The AccessLog writing only occurs *after* the response has been sent to the
client and the request is essentially done. I think if there is a performance
issue - it is OS/filesystem specific. We pounded some HPUX boxes with and
without access logs turned on. As long as we did not run out of processors,
we didn't see any performance differences.

It might be of interest to parse and decode the pattern at set time for
AccessLogValve (like the ExtendedVersion does) to prevent a lot of extra
string comparisons. (If the user chooses a custom pattern) But I'm
indifferent because of the results I posted above.

On a stressed system, this might still be a good thing todo.

-Tim