tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/docs changelog.xml jasper-howto.xml
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:25:41 GMT

> I feel strongly about this. Dev mode is the default, and is needed for
> some special purpose stuff (where JSPs are regenerated on the fly), so
> it need to perform relatively well.
>
> IMO, the background reloading thread is way too complex and buggy. It
> should go in favor of a much simpler mechanism (if you really want only
> one thing; personally, I would keep both, as it's more flexible).

has
>> to be set to
>>   +<code>true</code> for any reason (such as dynamic generation of
>> JSPs), setting
>>   +this to a high value will improve performance a lot.</li>
>>
>> Why won't dynamic generation of JSPs work in nondev mode? Notice that
>> in JspServleWrapper, we compile if
>>
>>   options.getDevelopment() || firstTime
>

> It works for the first compilation, of course. But most people who use
> that obvious refresh their JSPs.
>
> Overall, I think that having two attributes is appropriate.

OK, I think I've bought your point.

Can we specify the interval in seconds then, or what was the reason
to specify it in ms? Do you think a JSP could change that frequently?
When you specify a value <1000ms, you might as well specify -1.

Also, we should add this option to the documentation of the
JspServlet init params in the default web.xml.

Jan